ALK-VA | FAQ
Quick answers to your questions when flying withSriLankan Virtual Airlines
FOR FLIGHT OPERATIONS RELATED INFORMATION REFER OPERATIONS MANUAL
FOR ADMINISTRATION RELATED INFORMATION REFER POLICY MANUAL
Most recently updated information or requirements are marked with #
Join ALK-VA Aviators Forum to further discuss your FS flying, request help/advice/clarification.
1. Please read the Policy and Procedures Manual and Operations Manual first.
2. If you are satisfied fill up Enlistment Application and submit it.
3. You will hear from ALK-VA within 24 hours. (Note. Minimum software requirement is FS2004/FSX)
...complete a Check Flight?
1. All new applicants are encouraged to complete a 'Standard Check Flight' (SCF) before joining the active flying duties.
2. Active pilots are encouraged to complete a 'Standard Check Flight' (SCF) or an 'Advanced Check Flight' (ACF) for each new aircraft type that they wish to operate.
3. To carry out a Check flight please refer Check Flight Center.
...start flying for ALK-VA?
1. Select a flight from ALK-VA Flight Schedule information pages.
2. Refer 'Pilot Ranking' section in Policy Manual for mission distance restrictions. Ex: Second Officer can operate flights up to 1000nm (between each landing).
3. Select an aircraft applicable to your Pilot Ranking from The Fleet Hangar page. (# Note. All new pilots join as Second Officers)
4. Go to Flight Request page and submit your selections. (Note. You can not request more than one return flight at a time.)
5. You should receive an authorization message from ALK-VA Flight Operations before you carry out any flying for ALK-VA.
Note. If you are flying your chosen aircraft for the first time please complete a Check Flight. Read about it above.
1. Find the details (Elevations, VORs, NDBs, ILS, ATIS, etc.) of departing and arriving airports. It is important to know the locations of VOR/NDB beacons, relative to the destination runway.
2. Enable FS 'Log Book' to keep a track of your flying.
3. You are encourage to fly with free on-line FS ATC network such as Vatsim.
4. Find out weather data. You are free to use real weather or own weather scheme.
5. During the flight make sure to record data requested in the Completed Flight Report form.
6. When the flight is successfully completed submit the Completed Flight Report.
...change a flight request?
If you are unable complete your requested flight for some reason please inform that and submit a new flight request.
...calculate flying time? #
1. Before engine start set the FS (Flight Simulator) clock to your flight's departure time minus 15mts.
2. Record 'Parking brakes Off' (chocks off) time before push back/taxi iaw FS clock.
3. Record 'Parking brakes On' (chocks on) time at the parking bay/gate iaw FS clock.
4. Deduct time 2. from time 3. Balance is the total flying time.
Note: When flying with Vatsim your flight data is saved as Vataware file with actual takeoff/landing times.
Refer Flight Bag for Vataware details. Refer 'Operations Manual Para OP-3.k' for definitions of flying hour.
...apply for leave?
You can request for leave or time off from flying duties. It will be authorised and shown in your flying data record. Refer Policy and Procedures Manuals for more details.
How Pilot Ranking System works
1. All newly joining pilots get ‘Second Officer’ Pilot Rank.
Note: If you have any flying hours from other VA flights we may add a percentage of that to ALK-VA start-up hours. This is subject to verification from official VA or Vatsim/Vataware flight records.
2. When you accumulate 25 flying hours you will be promoted to First Officer rank, and so on.
How Aircraft Rating System works
1. Pilots are encouraged to obtain type rating for each aircraft type that they wish to operate. It is a simple test flight and details are given in the Check Flight Center.
2. There are two categories of aircraft type ratings, Co-pilot rating & Captain rating. Though it is not mandatory, it makes your virtual flying carrier more realistic as with the real world pilot licensing system.
Please note that we are not judging your flying with above ranking system & check flights. It is only to make your virtual flying carrier more realistic and authentic. We at ALK-VA truly hope that you will have a enjoyable time when trying out various check flight phases. We are always ready to help you out any difficulty that you may encounter.
| INDEX |
OTHER QUERIES RECEIVED FROM OUR PILOTS
How do you know if I have actually flown the flight? We have data for all ALK-VA flights. (That is why it takes such a long time to introduce new flights.) By comparing them against your results we will know the truth. Anyway, this whole VA flying concept is for your own fun and satisfaction. If you send a fake flight report, then you are cheating yourself!
What I can do if I am running out of fuel in the middle of a flight? You can land on the nearest airport and refuel. (If you are in the middle of nowhere, contact ALK-VA once you are rescued) So always check your fuel status before starting a long flight over the sea or unknown areas.
Can I refuel during an en-route landing? Yes. Do not carry unwanted fuel load if you are landing en-route. Calculate fuel required for the next landing plus 30 min.
Why is my GPS distance is different from the values given in the schedule pages? ALK-VA values are calculated from aeronautical charts and it shows real world route distances. GPS gives direct distance from point to point. It is more realistic if you can use real nav charts. Since many do not have access to that, it is okay to use GPS.
# Why is my aircraft's rate of climb or cruise speed is very unusual? Some of the available freeware and payware aircraft are known to have aerodynamic and handling difficulties. Ex: Wilco Airbus series aircraft are unable to climb above FL180 when flying with Vatsim weather. Inform us if you faced this situation, so you will know the corrective actions.
As an aviator you can find a way to control most these problems. During the flight always be prepared for unexpected. That is the main difference between routine airline flying and realistic ALK-VA flying. So test all your flying skills. If everything fails ask for help.
Why is my aircraft very unstable (pitching, rocking, etc.) at cruise speed / altitude? Please read above and tame the beast.
Note: If you faced any of the above situations, please indicate it in your Completed Flight Report. We will publish it (without your name if you wish) for the benefit of other pilots.
At ALK-VA ...
1. All your correspondence is handled by real people. We do not use automated replies, and you are not sending messages to machines. We personally attend to all your requests as we believe in the human touch.
2. We do not act like a big brother to scrutinize all your action because all our flying gears are not identical. FS flying is a hobby to you as well as to us. We trust that you will operate all flights as realistic and accurate as possible, within your capabilities.
3. Without your permission we do not reveal your personal and flying data to a third party.
| INDEX |
ALK-VA Site Map
|ALK-VA HOME PAGE|
|Policy||Join ALK-VA||Air Taxi||Domestic||Milestones|
|Flight Ops||Flight Test||SriLankan||Asia||Air Lanka|
|FAQ||Flight Request||Air Lanka||Middle East||Air Ceylon|
|Roster||Flight Report||Air Ceylon-Jet||Australasia||VCBI Airport|
|Forum||Contact Us||Air Ceylon-Prop||Europe||Air Navigation|
|News Mag||Guest Book||Links||America/Charter||Aviation in Sri Lanka|
| INDEX |
If I had a buck for every time I heard "I always wanted to be a pilot," but lost a buck when hearing the expression, "I wish I spent more time with my kids," how rich am I?
— Captain Jeff 'The Cat' Morris
|FAQ||FLIGHT OPS||CONTACT ALK-VA||FLIGHT TEST||FLIGHT REQUEST||FLIGHT REPORTS||NOTAM / NEWS||AIR CEYLON|